Arts and Cultural Alliance of Jackson County announces a call to artists for mural proposals on the wall in front of Irish Hills Towers (8433 US-12, Onsted, MI 49265).
Submissions are free to members of the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Jackson County, and $10 for non-members. Brooklyn Irish Hills Chamber of Commerce (BIHCC) will pay a stipend of $500 to the artist or team of artists of the accepted mural proposal to cover labor. BIHCC will reimburse a maximum of $200 for materials. The Chamber will also supply a press release, plaque on the wall recognizing the artist, and an unveiling ceremony.
This opportunity is for family-friendly, original artwork that is representative of the Irish Hills and includes the statement “Welcome to the Irish Hills.” BIHCC asks that artists keep in mind that viewers will be in cars driving by at 55 mph, so the words must be central and easy to spot.
Regarding the Wall
- The wall is on property owned by the Irish Hills Historical Society, in front of the Irish Hills Towers.
- The wall was primed last fall and is approximately 60 feet long and 8 feet tall.
- Learn more about the history of the Towers.
Conditions of Entry
- Any artist or team of artists to create a two-dimensional mural to be created in the fall of 2017.
- Mural proposals may be executed in any medium that will withstand the four seasons of Michigan.
- Mural proposals must be for artwork that covers at least 70% of the wall.
Artists will retain the ownership of design ideas submitted with this application until a selection has been made and contract signed between the artist and the Brooklyn Irish Hills Chamber of Commerce.
How to Enter
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org the following: your name, address, phone number, a narrative and design illustrating the concept is required for each submission. Include supplemental information such as medium, and approximate dimensions of the proposed mural.
- Supporting materials, including images and examples of other exhibitions/opportunities that the artist has participated in, are required. References for earlier projects are encouraged.
- Please label your image files as follows: Artist name, a period, and what the file is. For example: Smith.muraldesign.jpg or Smith.muralnarrative.pdf
- Payment for non-member submissions can be made at artsinjackson.com/calendar
September 1, 2017 – Deadline for submissions
September 13, 2017 – Artists notified of acceptance or decline of entries via email
October 13, 2017 – Completion of Mural